So….all this commotion regarding the Slider Revolution plugin being bundled in themes has caused quite a few headaches for people. Myself included…
I spent a fair chunk of an evening this week “updating” a friends (staging) site using this theme -> http://themeforest.net/item/chariot-professional-responsive-portfolio-theme/5817175 to make 100% sure it was secure.
Here’s what I had to do…
- Backup the site – obviously
- Download the latest theme package from ThemeForest – fair enough
- Deactivate all the plugins – ok then…
- Delete all the plugins – huh? why? Oh right….cos you have your own custom installation of plugins….right….
- Upload the new theme – smooth, theme options maintained, hope restored.
- Reinstall and active the new versions of the plugins – worked well.
- Pour a double whiskey – because half the freaking content (such as slider images) is now gone/broken/i don’t know
So yes, I’m at a point of frustration now, because even as a seasoned developer on over 100 themes I now have to sift through backups of what SHOULD have been a smooth upgrade process just to fix the content. Loving it.
And before you ask, fortunately this wasn’t a live site, it’s a staging site, so luckily his live site isn’t buggered. And it’s not like I don’t like the Theme, just to be clear….just not this crappy plugin activation method.
Well now…that was fun….maybe I should start a marketplace?